Thursday, July 9, 2009

Feel the Earth Move -- With Google

Okay, Google can still surprise me.

I was curious about the history of earthquakes in California, so a quick search for "san francisco earthquake" made sense. A simple list of the usual results -- Wikipedia, some newspaper articles, USGS data, and so on -- would have satisfied. But to my surprise, I also got a live feed of recent quakes in and around California, with direct links to relevant information all mapped out.

I'd expect something like this from an iPhone or Android app, or a third-party mashup somewhere. Wolfram|Alpha, anyone? But Google stepped up with vital, recent, relevant info where I expected none. And this comes from an online veteran with a sixth-degree black belt in Google-Fu. Wonders never cease.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment